Face masks became the need of the hour in COVID-19. And different types of masks were introduced to the locals for daily use. However, some mild symptoms of face mask reactions caused discomfort among citizens. There were some safety precautions to take to avoid these reactions. As well as sanitizing hands, cleaning masks, not over wearing masks, and so on. Let’s get started if you want to learn more.
Face mask reaction and their treatment
Here are some of the face mask reactions with their
You might have noticed dry or itchy skin after wearing a face mask. Sometimes it can also cause peeling of your skin. Because your face mask is made of fabrics that may mess up your face oils. So, it can cause face mask rash itchy, or dry skin.
- CDC offers you to wash and reuse your face masks. Even the residue in the washing machine can soften your mask and irritate your skin.
- Don’t go overboard with the cleaning of your face mask. E.g. Cetaphil, Dove, etc.
- Don’t rub your face just pat it dry.
- Moisturize your face so that your face is not a dry ground for your mask to itch. As glycerin or hyaluronic acid can help you.
A face mask rash occurs when you wear a face mask for a longer period. So, it may cause dermatitis on your skin. And this may form irritation on your skin.
And the symptoms included in this are:
- Red rash from the mask
- Severe itching
- Dry and cracked skin
- Bumps and blisters
- Swelling and burning
Dermatitis is an allergic reaction to face masks and it can be from:
- You can take antihistamines like Benadryl
- Use a gentle skin cleanser and rinse with cool water
- Avoid harsh scrubs or acidic products
Replace surgical masks with cloth masks if you wear them. Or different fabrics that do not irritate the skin. Cotton offers a less allergic reaction to surgical mask symptoms and can be reused after washing. Before wearing your mask, wash it with hypoallergenic, fragrance-free laundry detergent.
If you have acne-prone skin, then the mask may multiply it worse. It is because the allergic reaction to a face mask can stay on your face for a long. So, even when you breathe, that can cause dampness to play as a ground to severe breakouts.
- Standard acne treatments may not be the right choice for mask-related acne.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser from skin allergic reaction face mask can offer.
- And try not to wear a mask for longer durations. Because that may cause a good breeding ground.
Try to understand your moisturizer or cleanser’s PH level to stop irritating your skin.
As the name suggests, your nose, chin, cheeks, and forehead gives a rosy tint. And this allergic reaction to surgical mask symptoms can crawl toward your chest. Although this face mask reaction can be because of any reason. You may be wearing masks in the hotter weather. Or your mask is beating your skin coverage. So, a rose-like texture causes a rosacea flare.
- Rosacea is treated with medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Most, like acne treatments, take time to work.
- The best way to deal with rosacea caused by wearing a face covering is to avoid flare-ups.
Sore spots around your ears or on your skin are fairly common. It could be due to the overuse of masks and the mask itself. If you wear them for an extended period, these spots may appear on your skin. It occurs when your mask rubs against your skin, causing friction and you get a rash from the mask.
Take a break from wearing your face covering whenever it is safe to do so. This is the most effective method for healing sore spots.
You should also consider changing the type of face cover you’re wearing. Instead of ear loops, try a well-fitting mask with a head strap or ties.
How to prevent face mask reactions?
- To keep your skin from becoming itchy, use a gentle cleanser and a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
- To moisturize your lips, use a lip balm.
- Toners, fragranced products, and greasy creams that may irritate the skin should be avoided.
- To avoid worsening effects, treat any pre-existing skin condition.
- Spraying the mask can cause allergy masks with disinfectant causes allergies to flare up.
- Face masks should be washed and dried daily to be reused.
Points to consider while wearing a face mask
- Try on different masks to find one that does not irritate your skin.
- Ascertain that the mask is properly fitted to your face.
- To reduce allergic reactions to face masks, place a lining between your skin and the mask.
- To avoid earloop pressure, use a paperclip or standard hospital wristband to connect the loops behind the head.
- Reduce the time spent wearing the mask as much as possible, aiming for a five-minute break every few hours.
After wearing a face mask
- Inspect the skin for allergic reaction to surgical mask symptoms and begin treatment as soon as possible.
- Moisturize to protect the skin barrier and relieve itching.
- Avoid reusing a face mask to spread infection.
- Wash your hands after and before applying a face mask.
Conclusion: Wearing a face mask can cause face mask reaction and you can prevent these mask and acne combination. So, above mentioned tips will help you achieve it.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1.What happens if you have an allergy to a face mask?
Common symptoms include facial itch, redness, rash, dryness and peeling, swelling and numbness, pain and tingling, and oily skin.
Q2.How long does a facial allergic reaction last?
A skin reaction caused by allergic contact dermatitis will resolve, but it will take 14 to 28 days.
Q3.What should you do if you are allergic to a face mask?
- Wash the product off your face with cold water or apply a cold compress to relieve the stinging sensation.
- To relieve itching, use an over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone cream.
- To relieve itching, take an antihistamine orally.